To Register You Must:

  • be 18 years of age on or prior to Nov 1, 2016,
  • be an U.S. citizen,
  • resident at current address since before Oct 11, 2016,
  • not be a felon.

To Vote, You Must Register:

  • if you never voted before,
  • if you moved since the last time you voted,
  • if you were a felon who served your sentence (including probation) and have not yet re-registered.
  • (Not sure?  Check here – then enter your first and last name and date of birth on the resulting form.

Where and When to Register in Person

  • At your Municipal Clerk‘s office – before Nov 4, 2016.
  • At your polling place on election day – Nov 8, 2016.

How and When to Register by Mail

  • Download this form.
  • Type in the data & print the form (or print the form & fill in by hand),
  • Attach Proof of Residency document(s), if required.
  • Mail, fax, email or hand deliver it all to your Municipal Clerk.

Documents Needed to Register

  • License number and expiration date of a WI driver license, if you have one and if it is current & valid.
  • Otherwise a WI DOT ID number OR last 4 digits of SS number.
  • Lacking all the above, you still may be allowed to register.
  • Proof of residency, if registering after Oct 10, 2016 or as a first time voter.
  • (NOTE: a PHOTO ID is NOT a requirement.)

Proof of Residency Examples

  • (NOTE: Proof of Residency is required if you are a first time voter or you register after Oct 10, 2016)
  • A current and valid State of Wisconsin Driver License or State ID card.
  • Any other official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit.
  • Any identification card issued by an employer in the normal course of business and bearing a photo of the card holder, but not including a business card.
  • A real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the year preceding the date of the election.
  • A university, college, or technical college identification card (must include photo) ONLY if the voter provides a fee receipt dated within the last 9 months or the institution provides a certified housing list, that indicates citizenship, to the municipal clerk.
  • A gas, electric, or telephone service statement (utility bill) for the period commencing no earlier than 90 days before Election Day.
  • Bank statement.
  • Paycheck or paystub.
  •  A check or other document issued by a unit of government.
  • A letter on public or private social service agency letterhead identifying a homeless voter and describing the individual’s residence for voting purposes.
  • Residential lease that is effective on date of registration. (Not valid if registering by mail.) o An intake document from a residential care facility such as a nursing home or assisted living facility.
  • (this list is not exhaustive – other documents may qualify)


For more detailed information on the above, visit the following WI Government Accountability Board websites:

revised 16 Aug 2016

Print Friendly

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *